Wemo Switch & Plug Showdown – The Ultimate Wemo Review
Read Time: 21 mins
There was a time when people used to wish they could turn off the lights of their house without physically walking to the switch. It seemed like such a luxury to indulge the lazy part of yourself after a long day at work by handling electric appliances and switches across the house without having to lift yourself physically from the couch that you found yourself on. While you may not be able to travel through time anytime soon, smart switches do exactly that; let you control electronics at your house remotely – you could be sitting far away from the switch but have complete control over turning it on or off, whenever or wherever!
Wemo Review: The Ultimate Wemo Device Buyers Guide
One of the companies at the forefront of the smart home revolution is Wemo.
In this comprehensive guide, you will learn everything you need to know about their entire range of smart home products and get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Wemo devices.
What Is Wemo?
Wemo is a range of products under the umbrella of Belkin International that allows you to control lighting and electronic devices remotely. Wemo offers switches and plugs that you can control remotely through your Android or iOS device. All you need to do is download the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet using your cellular or Wi-Fi network and link it to the device that you are trying to connect. These home automation products – which will be discussed in further detail later – can be controlled using the app from anywhere in the world, only if you fulfill one primary condition – the Wemo device’s wireless network should have access to the Internet.
What Works with Wemo
Wemo has grown exponentially since the time it was introduced, expanding its compatibility with a number of popular platforms that are used in your home environment. Here are some of the technological platforms that are compatible with Wemo products and devices:
- Apple HomeKit – If you have the Apple Home app, you can link your Wemo devices to your Apple devices or Home app to control the lights and other attached appliances from your Apple products, for example, your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch or HomePod.
- Amazon Alexa – Amazon is taking over the world, and Wemo understands that. With its Amazon Alexa compatibility, you can use your voice to control the lights and switches. This makes the process incredibly easy.
- Google Assistant – If you have Google Assistant, you can also link your Wemo devices with the platform to enjoy hands-free control of your home lighting and any gadgets powered through their plugs.
- IFTTT or “If This Then That” – Finally, you can use IFTTT to create applets that will let you control the Wemo devices in your home by connecting them with different applications and websites. With these applets, you can also design custom tasks.
About the Company
Wemo is one of the brands held by Belkin International, a Playa Vista, California-based consumer electronics company that has been working towards using technology to make a difference in people’s lives in terms of convenience and ease of use. Chep Pipkin, who still serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the organization, founded Belkin in 1983. Even at that time, Pipkin put together computer cable assemblies and sold them to local manufacturers to capitalize on the demand for the products during the personal computer boom of the 1980s.
Three major brands come under the umbrella of the Belkin International organization. While the first two – Belkin, which manufactures cables for smartphones and tablets, and Linksys, which works towards mainstreaming wireless connectivity – are of great consequence, our focus today will be on the third – Wemo – because of the way it has made a name for itself in the home automation game. Through the Wemo platform, consumers are able to customize the experience of handling their home appliances remotely with the help of their standalone app or as part of a home automation setup using a hub. The type of appliances you can control through Wemo – even when you are physically miles away from the house – range from just lights and fans to other larger appliances.
Products You Need to Know About
Wemo has a relatively simple product suite but there is no doubt about the fact that the products have been designed keeping consumer convenience in mind. In this buying guide, we will be covering all of the current products manufactured by Wemo that have gained popularity over the years because of the unique concept that goes with them. Keep reading for a brief introduction of each of these!
- Wemo Smart Switch – The first product that we will be talking about is the Wemo Smart Switch. This provides on-off control of the lighting within your home from your smartphone, tablet, or dare we say it… the actual physical wall switch.
- Wemo Smart Dimmer – The next product is similar to the switch but provides the ability to dim the lights attached to the switch circuit. As with their smart switch, the Wemo dimmer also uses your home Wi-Fi connection to give you the ability to control your lights remotely using the Wemo app.
- Wemo Mini Smart Plug – The Mini Smart Plug manufactured by the company is great for times when you want to control electronic devices in your house – other than lights. All you need to do is connect the device to the plug (which needs to be attached to an electrical outlet) and control it using the app.
- Wemo Insight Smart Plug – The Insight Smart Plug offered by Wemo is a step up from the mini version, giving you full energy usage monitoring of whatever device you have plugged into that outlet. It is very easy to install and use, and perfect if home energy monitoring is a requirement.
- Wemo Bridge – The Wemo Bridge is different from the products mentioned before, as it helps you integrate your Wemo switches and plugs with Apple HomeKit. If you don’t have any Apple gear and have no future plans to include them in your home, you can cross this bit of kit off your shopping list.
- The Wemo App – The Wemo app lets you control all the devices that have been mentioned in the list above – all through one simple interface.
Now that you have a good idea about the basics of the products offered by Wemo, let’s delve deeper into each of these. In the section below, we will be examining the products in greater detail, looking at their features, pros and cons, before moving on to the frequently asked questions that people ask when it comes to Wemo products.
Wemo Smart Switch Review
The first Wemo product that will be discussed in more detail is the Wemo Smart Switch. This is one of the most basic products offered by the company, which lets you control all the lighting of your house from a small app on your phone. After purchasing the device, all you need to do is set it up on your wall with the help of a neutral wire and link it to the Wemo app – the platform that is used to remotely control all Wemo products.
The Smart Switch connects to the Wi-Fi network that you have at home, which means you will not need a special hub or subscription to use these products. This switch can be used to control anything that a regular switch controls, whether it is lights in the house or your ceiling fans. The best part is that you don’t need to be at home to use this switch. Once it is linked to the app, it can be operated from anywhere in the world. Even if you are on vacation in Europe, you can turn these switches on and off. Finally, you also have the option to set up specific schedules in line with your regular routine and automate the entire process.
If you are looking to purchase the Smart Switch, here are some of the main features offered by Wemo, along with a few major pros and cons of buying these switches.
- Clip on faceplate so that no screws need to be used.
- Remotely control the lights of your house from anywhere in the world.
- Option to set schedules for turning the switch on and off.
- Connect multiple Wemo devices and operate with one long press.
- Can be controlled using the Wemo app, which is free for download on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
- Works with Google Assistant so that you can control the device through your Google Home devices or smartphone.
- Can be linked to Amazon Alexa for a hands-free controlling experience.
- Compatible with Apple HomeKit if you have the Wemo Bridge device.
- Can be linked to Nest for automated Home/Away controls.
- Comes with “Away Mode” for randomized lighting.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Wemo Light Switch seamlessly replaces your old wall light switch. Control you lights from Wemo Light Switch on the wall, the Wemo app, and even your voice with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- This Smart Switch is ideal for people who want to enter the realm of home automation but do not want to take too many big steps. By choosing the Wemo Smart Switch for your lighting requirements, you can get the benefits of automated technology without taking too much of a risk.
- The lights can be controlled from anywhere in the world once you set up the switch and link it to your Wemo app.
- It is compatible with the major players in the market, for example, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Nest and so on.
- The process of setting it up is fairly simple, as you don’t need any screws to be pushed into a wall. The clip-on faceplate is very easy to get going.
- You will need a neutral wire to set up your Wemo Smart Switch for the lights in your home.
- The Wemo Smart Switch cannot be linked to your Apple HomeKit if you do not purchase an extra product – the Wemo Bridge. Some of the newer products by Wemo surpass this requirement.
The Wemo Smart Switch is a great purchase if you are looking to automate the lighting of your house. It is fairly simple to install, can be connected to the Wemo app with great ease and finally be controlled through your voice if you have linked it to your Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. By setting up this small device to work in conjunction with the lighting in your house, you will be able to control the lights from anywhere in the world and even personalize schedules for them to be switched on and off. The only major drawback that comes to mind is that it cannot be linked with the Apple HomeKit without a Wemo Bridge. If this device suits your needs, you can buy it here.
Wemo Smart Dimmer Review
Have you ever come back home after a long day of work and wondered why the lights in your house are so harsh on the eyes? Are there days when you wished the lights were a little brighter? Whatever the scenario may be, it is always a good idea to invest in a high-quality dimmer that will allow you to control the intensity of the light in your living space. The Wemo Smart Dimmer is an interesting choice in this regard, as it allows you to set the ambiance of any part of your house with a couple of taps on your smartphone screen. Without the need of a specialized subscription or hub, this dimmer connects to your Wi-Fi network to give you control to all the lights that are attached to it, whether it is the lights in the living room or bedroom or that antique chandelier that you sourced during one of your trips overseas.
While you can control the intensity of the lights from your Wemo app, this Smart Dimmer is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and the Apple HomeKit as well. This allows you to use voice commands to decide what kind of lighting you are looking for. If you have any further doubts about the functionality of this product, this guide will go through the major features, along with the pros and cons associated with the Wemo Smart Dimmer.
- Option to choose the intensity of the light at any place in your house.
- Connection with the Wemo app allows you to manipulate the lighting of your house even when you aren’t present physically.
- Hands-free voice control for situations where you don’t want to physically open the app and choose the exact setting.
- Allows you to use your Google Assistant and Google Home devices to control lights.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa after a simple set up process.
- Can be linked to the Apple HomeKit with the help of in-built software.
- Comes with “Night Mode” to prevent bright-light blinding.
- Long Press feature to control multiple Wemo devices with one single tap.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately);Voltage Rating: 120 VAC
- Control from anywhere. Control Wemo Dimmer from the wall, the Wemo app, and even your voice with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Only needs Wi-Fi. No Hub or subscription required. Enable the...
- This product can do everything that your regular dimmer does, but goes a step ahead in terms of usability, as you can control the functionality of the product even from large distances. This is not limited to the same house, city or even country because of the Wemo app.
- You will be given the option to personalize the use of the lights with the help of the app. For example, if you want the lights to be dimmed in the evening to set the mood for dinner, there are settings you can influence to this end.
- It is possible to control a number of Wemo devices with the same touch if you choose the “Long Press” feature that the device comes with.
- You can pair this device with Nest and also choose automated recipes from IFTTT to widen the horizon of your Wemo products.
- The technology is not entirely glitch-free and there have been instances of the app and device showing up considerable connection problems.
- You will need a neutral wire to install this dimmer. In addition to this, the product is not compatible with three-way or multi-location control switches.
If you enjoy the effect that dimmers have on the lighting of your house, the Smart Dimmer can be a worthwhile purchase. Once you set up the dimmer for some of the lights in your home, you will be able to benefit from the convenience that the Wemo app – which will be discussed at a later stage in this piece – offers in terms of flexibility and ease of use. While there have been instances of poor connections that have marred the brilliance of the concept, it is an interesting thing to try out, especially for those of you who enjoy the idea of controlling their lives from small devices like smartphones. You can buy the Wemo Smart Dimmer by clicking here.
Wemo Mini Smart Plug Review
Before we start reviewing the Wemo Mini Smart Plug, it is important to note that the standard Wemo Smart Plugs are no longer being manufactured by Wemo. While the regular Smart Plugs may be available for purchase on Amazon, the company has stopped manufacturing these and shifted the focus to the Wemo Mini Smart Plug and the Wemo Insight Smart Plug.
The first of these to be discussed is the Mini Smart Plug, which has been designed so that it takes very little space when you plug it into a regular electric socket. There is no particular installation process other than linking the device to the Wemo app on your smartphone or tablet. Once this is done, you can just plug in any device into the Mini Smart Plug and control it through the app on your Android or iOS smartphone. The best part about this is that you don’t have to be in the physical proximity of the product. Instead, you can just control it through the app or some of the other platforms linked to the device, for example, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Nest or Apple HomeKit. If you are looking to get a better understanding of this compact little smart plug, we have compiled all the important features, pros and cons in the section below.
- Compact design to avoid any unnecessary obstruction.
- Allows you to remotely set up the controls of any electric appliances plugged into the Mini Plug.
- Option to schedule the turning on and off of appliances and lights through the mobile application.
- “Away Mode” for randomized turning on and off of appliances to make it look like there is someone at home.
- Option to link it to your Google Assistant and use through Google Home devices.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa to activate voice commands for switching on and off.
- Can be used with Apple HomeKit without the requirement of the Wemo Bridge.
- Link with Nest for Home-Away controls and choose from automated recipes on IFTTT.
- Quick start guide included in the package.
- Control from anywhere. Plug in a WeMo Mini Smart Plug, download the free app, and control your lights and appliances from your phone and your voice through Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Home Kit....
- Compact size. WeMo Mini features a sleek new form-factor that allows you to stack two Mini Smart Plugs in the same outlet
- The Wemo Mini Smart Plug has gained popularity because of the small size and ease of use that is associated with the product. You don’t need to worry about the plug blocking other outlets, as it is very compact.
- When compared to a number of smart plugs that have been manufactured in recent times, this Mini Smart Plug is very competitively priced and will not burn a hole in your pocket.
- While one of the best features of the mini version here is the design, it is also one of the few Wemo products that have been designed to be compatible with Apple HomeKit without requiring an external Wemo Bridge to be brought in.
- One of the major reasons why this smart plug may not stand up to some of the other options available for purchase in the market is that it will not give you the option to track your energy usage. This is something that Wemo took care of in the next gen of products.
- This disadvantage is not limited to this product but extends to the entire line. The performance with the app can sometimes lag a little, causing the connections to break or malfunction.
The smart plugs are a great buy for those of you who don’t want to bother themselves with the entire installation process that comes with switches. Instead, with a product like the Wemo Mini Smart Plug, you will not have to worry about any complications and just attach it to an electric outlet. As the plug is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and the Apple HomeKit, it is very easy to control through voice commands or just a couple of clicks on your Android or iOS devices. If you are interested in trying out the Wemo Mini Smart Plug for initiation into the world of smart switches and plugs, you can click on this link here.
Wemo Insight Smart Plug Review
The most sophisticated smart plug manufactured by Wemo is the Insight Smart Plug. As mentioned before, because of the company’s decision to stop manufacturing the standard Smart Plug, this is the option available for you in case you want a high-quality plug that does a little more. What sets this product apart for the more basic Mini Smart Plug is the option to monitor your energy consumption from your smartphone or tablet. Once you plug a device into the Insight Smart Plug, it starts recording its energy consumption and gives you real-time updates about it on the Wemo app that you can download on your phone or tablet.
In addition to this, you can also gain access to all the basic features offered by other Wemo products like the light switches and mini plugs. However, if you want to delve deeper into the details of the Insight Smart Plug, you can keep reading!
- Allows you to monitor energy consumption remotely.
- Option to turn the device on and off remotely, even from across large distances.
- Schedule the turning on and off ahead of time.
- Randomized lights with the “Away Mode” for times when you are away from home for long.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa for voice automation.
- Works with Google Assistant and Google Home devices.
- Can be linked to Apple HomeKit for use with Siri on your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch.
- Option to pair with Nest and link to IFTTT for additional functionality.
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Control from anywhere. Plug in a Wemo Insight Smart Plug, download the Wemo app, and control your lights and appliances right from your phone and even your voice through Amazon Alexa and Google...
- The main advantage of opting for this smart plug is the constant monitoring of how much energy a device is consuming. If you have been conscious about the additional costs of running such devices, this plug will help you keep an eye out.
- It is very easy to set up and use, as there are no installations that need to be carried out.
- It is compatible with a number of different platforms, which allow you to use voice automation to carry out all functions.
- One of the main reasons that could deter someone from buying this product is the way it has been priced. While it may not be the most expensive smart plug available for purchase, it is on the higher end of the spectrum when compared to the Mini Plug.
- As a lot of the functionality comes from the app, you may notice that it isn’t the most advanced one technologically.
While this product is significantly more expensive than a Mini Smart Plug by the same company, there is a good reason for it. With the Insight Smart Plug, you will be able to monitor the energy consumption of your devices, while controlling them from that tiny app on your phone. For the monitoring function itself, you may be willing to overlook the pricing and small glitches on the app. If you want to purchase this smart plug, this link will take you to the right place.
The Wemo Bridge
The Wemo Bridge is a device manufactured by the company that allows you to connect and enable all Wemo products in your house with the Apple HomeKit. With the help of this product, you can easily link your Wemo devices like smart switches and plugs to the Apple HomeKit and Siri, which will help you control the functioning of these even through voice commands to the latter. You can use any of your Apple devices – for example, your iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch – to control the Wemo plugs and switches, once you have bought the Wemo Bridge and linked it to both sides.
There are a couple of things that you should know if you are looking to purchase the Wemo Bridge and here we will start with some of its main features. As Wemo devices use your Wi-Fi network at home to give you wireless control over lights and other appliances, once you have connected your Wemo Bridge to the Apple HomeKit, you simply need to use the app to control these devices from anywhere – regardless of whether you’re at home or not. The option to ask Siri to control your Wemo devices is an interesting one, as it allows you to use your voice – in addition to “Hey Siri” – to give commands to switch things on or off, or even dim the lights if you are using a dimmer.
If you have the Wemo Bridge to link your Wemo devices with Apple Home, you can do a ton of interesting things like group devices by the room and control all of them in one go, set up personalized settings for different times of the day with different commands, or set up automated schedules that are in line with your daily routine. The device itself is very small and sleek so that you don’t have to worry about it looking like an eyesore in the midst of your home décor.
Do I Need to Purchase the Wemo Bridge?
A lot of people ask themselves this question as the utility of Wemo Bridge may have been reduced after the company announced some advancements to the newer Wemo products. For example, the Wemo Mini Smart Plug and the Wemo Smart Dimmer have both been developed so that they can take maximum advantage of the new software authentication measures put in place by Apple. Here, the need for the Wemo Bridge is wiped out, as the devices can be linked to your Apple HomeKit without using that additional product.
- Wemo Bridge allows you to control Wemo devices by asking Siri or using the Apple Home app from your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch
- Set a custom scene or group your Wemo devices by room so that you can easily control multiple devices at once, all with a single command
Here is a list of products that do not work with Apple HomeKit automatically and which will need the Wemo Bridge to work effectively:
- Wemo Smart Light Switch – This is one of the most popular products by Wemo, but when you are purchasing this, you should keep in mind that it can only be linked to Apple Home through the Wemo Bridge.
- Wemo Insight Smart Plug – Similarly, another popular product that needs the Wemo Bridge is the Insight Smart Plug.
- Wemo Switch and Motion Sensor – Even discontinued products like these – which can still be found for purchase on Amazon – need the Wemo Bridge to be linked to your Apple HomeKit.
Finally, we recommend that you only purchase the Wemo Bridge if you absolutely need to. If you have any of the products mentioned above and want to link them to the Apple HomeKit, you should buy the Wemo Bridge. However, if you have the newer products that come with the inbuilt technology that allows you to link them to Apple Home, you can avoid this purchase.
The Wemo App
Now that you have an idea about the many different devices that are available for purchase under the Wemo product line, it is time to understand how all of these are controlled. You may have noticed the mention of the Wemo app across the guide and now, we will be discussing this in greater detail. The Wemo app is the one location that will help you control all the Wemo devices that you have around the house through your smartphone or tablet. This app will let you choose whether you want the devices to be switched on or off, what ambiance you want to have for that date you are having over and so on, with no restriction on the location from which you can control this. You may be within the comforts of your house, driving up home from work, at your office, a meeting downtown or at a friend’s place for dinner. The controls of your lights and appliances will be nestled in the small space of your palm so that you don’t have to bother yourself with any bulky switches or controlling devices.
The Wemo app is available for download on both Android and iOS systems, which means it covers most of the smartphones that are produced today. As it is a free app, you don’t have to worry about paying any extra money to avail the benefits. It is more like a necessity if you have invested in Wemo devices like the smart switches, dimmers and plugs, as some of these products can only be controlled through the app on your smartphone on the platform. To get a deeper understanding of the Wemo app, we have compiled the main features, pros and cons associated with the app.
- A free app that is available for download on Android and iOS systems.
- Allows hands-free control of Wemo products like the Mini Plug, Smart Switch, Insight Plug, Dimmer and so on.
- Controls the devices even from large distances, so you can be away on vacation and still switch appliances on and off.
- Advanced features like scheduling ensure that you can set the time for devices to be turned on and off.
- Allows you to pair your Wemo devices with Amazon Echo, Google Home, Apple HomeKit and Nest.
- Equipped with “Away Mode” for random switching on or off when you are not home.
- Option to integrate Wemo with IFTTT or “If This, Then That”.
- Receive push notifications along the way.
- The Wemo app gives you a beautifully designed platform that you can use to control all your Wemo devices at home. As it is free to download and use, you will not have to pay extra money on top of the cost of the Wemo devices.
- The “Away Mode” is a great addition for those of you who stay away from home for long periods but don’t want people to think that the house has stayed empty for long. It is like an additional security measure.
- You can schedule the switching on and off of lights and plugs in your home ahead of time with the help of this app.
- The interface is user-friendly so even those of you who aren’t technologically savvy can make the most of this app.
- There have been some complaints about the software of the app acting up and crashing, so you have to keep an eye out for any malfunctioning that leads to you losing control of your devices.
- The overall security of the app isn’t top notch and it ends up losing the connection with the devices quite often.
Finally, there is no way to avoid downloading the Wemo app if you are purchasing any of the Wemo products – especially the older ones. The app allows you to exercise full control of the devices that you have installed in your home and can be used to personalize the turning on and off of these products ahead of time. This means you will not have to worry about coming back home to a dark house at any time. As the app is free to download, you will not be incurring any extra costs over and above the purchase and installation of the Wemo devices. Just keep in mind that you will have to routinely update the app if you want to get the maximum benefit out of it!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are thinking of making the switch to home automation products in general and Wemo in particular, you may be confronted with a bunch of questions that need to be answered before you take the plunge. In order to make it easier for you to get answers, we have put together some of the most frequently asked questions about Wemo and its products. These questions range from inquiries about compatibility to questions about security, covering a majority of the queries that people have when they are considering home automation devices.
Will Wemo Work with HomeKit?
Yes, although if you want access to the full Wemo range integrated with your Apple gear, as it stands you will need the Wemo Bridge to connect all your Wemo devices with the Apple HomeKit. However the newer models can be attached to your Apple platform without the use of the Wemo Bridge and we reckon it’s only a matter of time till all of the Wemo range will work with your Apple HomeKit without the hub.
Can Siri Control Wemo?
Once you have your Wemo devices connected with Apple HomeKit, you can control the switching on or off motions, as well as dimming of lights through Siri. This can be done through Wemo Bridge or even directly in the newer Wemo devices that are available for purchase.
Does Wemo Work with Alexa?
Yes, Wemo products work with Amazon Alexa. This means that after setting up the compatibility with the voice command tool, you will be able to switch your lights on and off or even use the dimmer just by using your voice.
Does Wemo Work with SmartThings?
Yes, Wemo does work with SmartThings. In order for this to happen with a glitch, it is important that you configure the devices in the Wemo app. Following this, you can add the devices on the SmartThings Hub, but they will have to be on the same network to work together.
Does Wemo Work with Google Home?
Yes, your Wemo devices can be linked to your Google Home platform and controlled using your Google Assistant. The process is very simple. After selecting “Set Up Device”, you will be able to choose from a list of available smart device partners. Picking your Wemo device from the list will allow you to set up your Google Virtual Assistant.
Is Wemo Compatible with Nest?
Yes, Wemo is compatible with Nest. There are many ways to benefit from this, for example, Nest can help you automate the switching on and off of devices by detecting when you are away. Your Wemo app will allow you to change the Nest Thermostat settings as well.
Will Wemo Work without Wifi?
While you do need a wireless router to set up your Wemo devices and use it regularly, a steady Internet connection is only required when you want to use the Remote Access feature of your Wemo devices. You can also physically switch on or off the switch if the need arises.
Can You Control Wemo from Anywhere?
Yes, the main reason why so many people switch over to smart technology like home automation is that they can control what is going on in their homes even when they aren’t close by. With the help of the Wemo app, you can control the devices from anywhere, as long as you have an Internet connection.
Do You Need a Hub for Wemo?
Only if you plan to use your Wemo devices with Apple products. You do not need a hub for in a non-Apple environment and for use with Google Home or Amazon Alexa.
What Can Wemo Do?
Wemo devices can do a number of things in the field of home automation. The product suite includes switches, dimmers and plugs, all of which can be controlled remotely to give you a customizable experience when it comes to lighting and control over appliances in your home.
Is Wemo Secure?
The water is a little murky in this regard. As Wemo devices are not password protected individually, they rely more on the security of the Wi-Fi network that they are attached to. This means that if someone is on the same network as you, they may be able to pull up the app and control your devices.
Do You Need a Neutral Wire for Wemo Switch?
Yes, the Wemo Switch does require a neutral wire to function properly. While there are some ways to get around this, they can be quite complicated and technically intensive, so it is recommended that you use a neutral wire for the installation of your Wemo Switch.
Check out all your options for smart switch no neutral installations in our dedicated article.
How Many Wemo Devices Can I Control?
There is no limitation on the number of Wemo devices that you can control if they have been added to your Wemo app or similar platform. Using the app, you will be able to turn it on and off, and also control the brightness of the lights that have been attached to the dimmers.
Can You Dim a Wemo Light Switch?
If you are looking for a lighting option that can be controlled in terms of brightness, you should opt for the Wemo Smart Dimmer.
After going through the details of the main Wemo devices and learning about their respective pros and cons, you will find yourself better equipped to take a decision on whether or not you would like to invest in home automation devices like the Wemo switches, dimmers, plugs and so on. An interesting thing to note is that while the lighting switches and dimmers – as well as the plugs that can be used to automate other devices – give your home the next level of coziness and efficiency, you may be compromising a little on the security aspect of things. This concern isn’t limited to just the Wemo products but the entire industry. Other than this, the products mentioned in this guide – whether it was the switches, the dimmers or the plugs – can make for interesting additions to your home if you are looking to step up your technological game and control what is happening in your home, even when you are far away.
Product data last updated 2019-06-04 at 20:50 via Amazon Product Advertising API
Trending On Amazon
Find This Article Useful?
Share It On Social!