Motion Sensor Light Switches: All Your Options Right Now
Read Time: 11 mins
Table of Contents
The Best Motion Sensor Light Switch For You May Not Be Smart!
Imagine coming back home with your hands full of grocery bags or with a basket full of laundry. You may manage to get through the door but by the time you reach out to turn on the lights, your equilibrium is lost and whatever you’re holding in your hands plummets right to the ground. With motion sensor light switches, you do not need to worry about this. Even if you have children at home, sure, you need to teach them to turn off the switch before they leave the room. But in case they or even you forget to turn off the lights before leaving the room, a motion sensor switch will take care of it. The following is a brief buying guide and reviews of some of the best motion sensor lights switches you can invest in:
Things to Consider before Buying
The following are the factors you should consider before buying:
Motion sensor light switches are not necessarily expensive but you should get your money’s worth is all. You need something that pays off in the long run as you should be saving a lot of energy and money. These switches are available in a variety of price ranges but if you do invest in something that is towards the expensive side, be sure to check if the extra features it offers are worth it.
If the motion sensor switch is adjustable, that makes your experience more satisfactory. After all, every time you enter a room does not mean the light needs to come on. It should have an ambient light setting so that if the sensor detects enough ambient light in the room, it will not feel the need to turn on the light.
It should also not turn off the light if you are still in the room but making minimal movement. For example, if you are at your desk reading and not making too much movement, the sensor should not think the room is vacant and turns off the light. You should be able to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor.
Type of Sensor
Motion sensor switches are typically of two kinds — active or passive. An active sensor will send out sound waves into the room and wait for them to return. When a person enters the room, the speed of the sound waves upon return changes and the switch is automatically triggered.
In the case of a passive sensor, the switch uses a passive infrared sensor to detect movement in the room based on heat. The type of sensor will shape the kind of experience you have with a motion sensor light switch.
Best Motion Sensor Switches with Smart Capability
The following are some of the best motion sensor switches with smart capability:
Ecobee Switch+ Smart Light Switch with Built-In Motion Detection
The Ecobee Switch+ is a smart light switch that comes with built-in motion detection. It has ambient light sensors and you can also integrate the switch with Amazon Alexa so you can have complete control over your home’s lighting system. It can be installed in as little as 45 minutes, thanks to an in-app video that will guide you step by step. You can also use the Ecobee mobile app which allows you to use your mobile device as a remote for the switch, in times when you are feeling too lazy to get up yourself. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The motion sensor switch has ambient light sensors and has built-in motion detection so it can begin its work almost as soon as you install it.
- It also has built-in Alexa, which means you can use the voice control on Alexa to switch on and off the lights, etc.
- When paired with the Ecobee Smart Thermostat, it can also be used as a room sensor as it also offers built-in occupancy and temperature sensors.
- By installing an app on your phone you can use your phone as a remote and control the lights from the comfort of your couch.
- The switch can be configured to work as a night light when it gets dark so you never have to sleep in pitch darkness.
- The light can be configured to stay off in case you wake up in the middle of the night to drink water or use the washroom.
- The vacation mode can make it look like you are at home even when you are not, for enhanced security.
- Any outdoor light can be upgraded to turn on after sunset, giving you an automatic porch light.
- The whole system can be set up within 45 minutes, thanks to the detailed, step by step guide on the app.
- Some customers complained that it can be slow to react at times.
- Other customers complained that the Alexa experience could be smoother.
- BEYOND SMART LIGHTING: With built-in motion detection, ambient light sensors, and built-in Alexa you can control your home's lighting like never before.
- EASILY INSTALL YOURSELF: It only takes about 45 minutes, thanks to an in-app step-by-step walkthrough and handy videos. Everything you need comes in the box-no need for an electrician.
The Ecobee Switch+ is a good investment that is sure to help you save on money and electricity. It is a smart switch that can sense movement and when the lights need to be on. You can also program the lights to be turned off despite movement, for example, if you just get out of bed at night for a glass of water.
GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Motion Sensor Switch
The GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Motion Sensor Switch is compatible with a variety of Z-Wave certified hubs, like SmartThings, Wink, ADT Pulse, Nexia, etc. You can also integrate the switch with Alexa, as long as the hub you are using also supports Alexa (only ZigBee products can be connected directly to Echo Plus). Apart from its motion sensor capabilities, it also allows you to trigger scenes wirelessly and also send alerts. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The smart motion switch can be connected to a few different Z-Wave certified hubs, including SmartThings, Wink, ADT Pulse, Vivint, Nexia, etc.
- You can also integrate it with Alexa and use it for voice command, as long as the hub you are using is also compatible with Alexa and other Echo products.
- You can wirelessly trigger scenes and also send alerts to your registered mobile when a motion detection turns the light on.
- With a Z-Wave gateway or controller, you can remotely monitor your lighting system using any mobile device
- There are multiple operation modes that you can use the switch on — auto-ON/auto-OFF, Vacancy — manual ON/auto-OFF, Manual — manual ON/OFF.
- The switch has three sensitivity modes — low, medium and high — so you can decide how quickly you want the switch to respond.
- It comes with white and light almond paddles which allow you to fit the switch into any home decor.
- The sensor is able to cover a 180-degree range of up to 45 feet, ensuring it is effective in small or large rooms.
- It is one of the best light fittings to install if you are looking to automate your home.
- It can only be installed with a neutral wire.
- A few customers complained that the switch failed after a few years.
- VOICE CONTROL - ALEXA & GOOGLE ASSISTANT COMPATIBLE (requires a Z-Wave certified hub). Works with the following Z-Wave certified hubs: SmartThings, Ring Alarm, Wink, ADT Pulse, ADT Command, Trane,...
- 3-WAY READY - The smart device operates perfectly on its own or seamlessly integrates into multi-switch setups with required add-on switches - models 12723, 12728, 46199 or 46200. Up to four add-on...
This is a great smart switch to install in your home if you want to convert your home into a smart one. You get plenty of options to pick from in terms of Z-Wave certified hubs. Apart from its motion sensor capabilities, you can also wirelessly trigger a variety of scenes.
Eoce Smart Light Switch with Motion Sensor
Eoce Smart Light Switch with Motion Sensor can work with a voice command as it is compatible with both Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The Smart Life app allows you to access the switch from anywhere, using only your smartphone. You can set timings for when you want the lights to come on or off every day. The automatic mode allows the switch to activate the motion sensor. It can be used anywhere, be it your kitchen, your closet, the living room, bedroom, office, etc. The following are the features the product has to offer:
- The Eoce Light Switch can be connected to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, using Alexa Skill.
- The Smart Life app allows you to use your mobile device as a remote control.
- You can set the timing of when you would like the lights to come on or off. Device sharing also allows you to share the sensor light switch with other members of your family.
- The auto mode (Auto ON/Auto-OFF) works as a motion sensor, while the OFF and LED modes allow you to override the motion sensor and use it as a standard smart switch.
- It has a 180-degree and a 3-5 meter detection range for the motion sensor.
- With this switch, you get a smart light switch as well as a motion sensor switch.
- The slide switch in front of the unit allows you to change modes with ease.
- It has a random delay time of only 30 seconds.
- It does not require a hub and can be used with your smart home systems, no strings attached.
- The LED mode allows you to see the light even in the dark instead of floundering at night.
- There are several different ways of controlling the switch so it may even get overwhelming or confusing.
- Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and IFTTT. Just use a command to make it work.
- Works as motion sensor by selecting the Auto mode on the front of the slide switch. OFF mode works as a smart light switch, LED mode can be work as a night light. All 3 modes have the smart function.(...
This is a decent device for you to invest in to make your home smarter. You get the best of both worlds and can pick between using the switch as a standard smart switch or a motion sensitive switch. There are not too many reviews to go by for this product, however, from what can be seen on paper, this is a very promising product.
Best Motion Sensor Switches without the Smarts
The following are the best motion sensor switches without the smarts:
Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor Light Switch
The Lutron Maestro Motion Sensor Light Switch is one that is able to automatically turn the lights on when you enter and turn them off when you leave. It also features XCT sensing technology which is able to discern fine motion so that the lights do not turn off if there is no active movement in the room. This is especially helpful when you are typing or reading. The switch is great for installing in a small room, like a kitchen, a closet or even a laundry room. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The motion sensor switch automatically turns on the lights when you enter the room and turns them off when you exit.
- The XCT sensing technology is able to sense even minimal movement, like if you are reading or typing at your desk, which means the light will not be turned off.
- You can also configure the settings such that the lights do not come on if there is enough natural light in the room.
- You can program the lights to time out in 1, 5, 15 or 30 minutes.
- The switch works with all types of bulbs provided they are up to 250 watts and incandescent, halogen, have electronic low voltage, etc.
- It can be installed in 15 minutes and requires only a ground wire and no neutral wire.
- The technology is sensitive enough to even detect if you are sitting in the room and the only movement you have made is the turning of a page.
- If you like, you can turn on the settings where the lights will not come if the switch senses there is enough natural light in the room.
- It is compatible with all bulbs.
- Several customers complained that they were dissatisfied with the switch and then also with the return policy.
- Some customers reported that quality is unstable.
- Automatically turns the lights on when you enter the room and off when you leave
- Features XCT sensing technology which detects fine motion, such as typing at a desk or reading, ensuring lights do not turn off inadvertently
This is a convenient and easy-to-use switch. It is not frustrating as the light does not go off, even if there is minimal movement in the room. So if you are sitting quietly and reading or typing at your desk, the switch will sense it and keep the lights on.
Leviton Decora Motion Sensor Light Switch
The Leviton Decora Motion Sensor Light Switch comes on automatically when you enter the room and goes off when you exit. It provides a 180-degree field of view and coverage of 900 sq. ft. It can be installed very easily and does not require a neutral wire. All models also have screw terminals that make it extremely easy to install the switch. The following are the features the product has to offer:
- The switch comes on automatically when you enter the room and goes off when you exit, therefore, saving energy.
- It has a 180-degree field of view and provides you with 900 sq. ft. of coverage.
- It has a segmented lens that ensures the switch has optimum sensitivity so it can detect even your slightest movement and does not go off if you are just sitting still in a room.
- The model comes with screw terminals that make it easy to install.
- This is an extremely easy to install switch as it comes with screw terminals and also does not require a neutral wire.
- It picks up even the slightest motion when you are in the room so if you are reading a book, quiet as a mouse, it will still keep the lights on.
- This is an ideal switch for LED bulbs.
- It would be preferred if the switch could sense when there is enough ambient light in the room during the day. The ambient light sensor does not work as well.
- The performance was unreliable for a few customers.
The Leviton Decora is convenient to use and offers great motion sensitivity. Several customers complained that the ambient light setting did not work so the lights came on even when there is enough natural light in the room. It is ideal for a room that is small and does not get too much light otherwise.
- Automatic on/automatic off provides 180-degree field of view and 900 square feet of coverage
- Automatic-ON/Automatic OFF operation for seamless energy management
TOPGREENER TSOS5-W In-Wall PIR Motion Sensor Light Switch
The TOPGREENER TSOS5-W in-wall PIR motion sensor light switch is able to detect motion whenever you enter the room or leave it. It uses a passive infrared sensor (PIR) that is able to minimize false triggers from any unwanted movements. You can customize the sensor based on your needs by switching between the occupancy and vacancy mode. It has a variable time delay from 15 seconds to 30 minutes and provides an adjustable range. The following are some of the features the product has to offer:
- The motion sensor switch employs a PIR sensor which minimizes false triggers.
- By switching between the Occupancy switch mode (Auto-ON, Auto-OFF) and the Vacancy switch mode (Manual ON, Auto-OFF), you can adjust the settings.
- The sensor has adjustable settings and has a variable time delay from 15 seconds to 30 minutes.
- It has a coverage of 314 sq. ft. and a 180-degree view.
- It works with all bulb types.
- It comes included with a wall plate.
- The PIR sensor makes it an extremely intelligent product.
- The adjustable settings allow you to customize the switch based on your needs.
- Some users complained that the lights started to flicker after a few uses.
- The product is not very easy to install.
- Motion sensor switch with low voltage 0-10 dimming, designed to control electronic ballasts or dimmable LED drivers, it allows you to dim the brightness levels of low voltage lighting
- Motion detection: Passive infrared (PIR) sensor reduces false triggers from unwanted movements and turns lights on when motion is detected. Lights will automatically turn off when the selected time...
The device uses a PIR sensor which enhances its performance and makes it a lot more reliable. You can cut down on false triggers from unnecessary movements and this seems to be a very efficient sensor. The learning curve may be slightly steep with this and the device is not very easy to install. But other than that, it is a great buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following are some of the frequently asked questions:
What Is a PIR Switch?
A PIR (passive infrared) switch is one that uses a special sensor that is able to discern between movements and reduces false triggers from unnecessary movements.
What Is the Difference between PIR and Motion Sensor?
In the case of motion detection, the movement is recorded based on a certain level of pixel change. This level changes depending on what settings you have kept on the sensor. The lower the sensitivity, the higher the percentage of pixel change required for any event to occur.
In the case of PIR, the motion is recorded by means of a passive infrared sensor. It detects infrared energy being emitted in terms of heat.
Do LED Bulbs Work with Motion Sensors?
Yes, LED bulbs are some of the best types of bulbs to use with a motion sensor.
How Does a Motion Sensor Light Switch Work?
Typically, a motion sensor light switch is based on the principle of changing sound waves in the room. The sensor sends out sound waves into the room and waits for them to return. When someone enters the room, the speed of the sound wave changes upon return, therefore, triggering the switch.
How Long Do Motion Sensor Lights Stay On?
This varies depending on the brand. You can set the time-out limit to one minute or event to 30 minutes.
What Can Trigger a Motion Sensor Light?
Motion sensors can be triggered by several unnecessary movements as well, like the leaves moving outside the window and playing with the natural light in the room. It does not only detect movement but also what the movement does to light and things around it. So to reduce false triggers, you can reduce the sensitivity of the sensor or you can also invest in a PIR sensor, which reduces false triggers.
How Much Do Motion Sensor Lights Save?
Motion sensor lights can save you a lot of money and energy in the long run as you will no longer leave the lights on in the room accidentally.
How Far Do Motion Sensor Lights Work?
The range of different motion sensors is different. But on average, they can work up to a 180-degree range.
With motion sensor switches, whether smart or otherwise, you can make your home a lot more efficient and ensure you save a lot of energy and money in the long term. Motion sensor switches can make your life much easier, especially on a day when you are running from pillar to post finishing errands. If you can finetune the few errant triggers here and there and adjust the sensor’s sensitivity, you can have a very comfortable experience with motion sensor light switches.
Product data last updated 2019-10-19 at 00:16 via Amazon Product Advertising API
Trending On Amazon
Find This Article Useful?
Share It On Social!